Version Changes v4.9999
Bug reports to Rod Macfarlan
- Many minor changes to allow application to run on both *nix and Windows implementations of Apache, mySQL, PHP4
- Now functional as a USB key application using Uniform Server 3.2a package (not 3.3 for some reason)
- Added flip function
- Replaced some keyboard functions with icons under board
- Fixed a case-conversion bug that resulted in loss of the ECO tag under some conditions
- Fixed subtle bug in reindexing games due to differences in implementing LOCKS in different mySQL versions
- Added a second row of action icons
- Removed cursor:hand css declarations to stop Firefox console messages (breaks MSIE 5.5 and below)
- Added tooltips for entry of Name and Site tags in conformance with PGN specification (will also add some validation)
- Fixed alphanumeric sorting in game selection form
- Changed dimensions of game retrieval form
- Modified pgn entry form
- Now uses the XPM2-v.0.2 smtp class to send mail - previously used PHP mail() function
- Mail is now HTML
- Correctly sends attachments
- More options with mail transport agents (can use local or relay servers)
- Informative error messages
- Added failsafes to prevent duplicates and short games from being submitted
- Added options to configure use of smtp servers
- Fixed SQL bug in deleting records used to build select fields
- Fixed bug in board rendering when flipped
- Consistent handling of line endings on *nix vs Win vs Mac
- Added alpha of new getGames function under admin menu
- Search functions totally rewritten
- Lots more flexibility and power
- Searches on any PGN tag using multiple terms
- Includes provision for Black AND/OR White searches
- Delete is available to admins only
- Pagination of search results
- Retired previous versions of these functions
- Now correctly writes backlink (minor bugfix that was previously worked around - will extend to other pages)
- Tidied up some icons
- Added 'Get All' button to search
- Major changes to upload functionality (still needs some final touches)
- Now uses same interface as search
- Can play games not committed to the database
- Can run parser in debug mode
- Retired previous version
- Fixed bug in handling apostophes in tag values
- Better sort for names in tag generator - now sorts multiword names correctly
- Fixed minor bug in upload parser
- Modified collation order of date tag (?? now appears before known dates)
- Can now search on date ranges
- Validation added for date range search
- Email can never fail gracefully, but now provides detailed error messages (returned from XPM2 class)
- Added support for retention of non-standard tags in imported games
- Optional - controlled by checkbox
- Correctly imports games saved from FICS
- Fixed bug in import of comments (now properly urldecoded)
- Started writing documentation
- Changed sort in search page to case-insensitive
- Fixed scrolling discontinuity in scoresheet textarea
- Added facility to add braced comments into games
- Partial rewrite of admin style & function page
- More logical color names
- Added capability to use color as well as tiled backgrounds
- Added additional colors
- Now shows color patches
- Fixed bug in regenerating default style values
- Fixed bug in handling null search result
- Fixed bug in handling upload of PGN where no games are selected
- Replaced ltpgnviewer with new js class playchess
- Much faster loading
- Writes to a div, therefore no issues with popups being blocked
- Uses parental stylesheet, therefore consistent look
- Basically a "dumb interface", but with first level (geometric) validation
- Three logical parts in the engine:(a)PGN parser,(b)fen generator,(c)graphical output
- Made background for play inset changeable
- Fixed critical regexp problem in playchess js class (seen with Firefox 1.07 but not IE or later Firefox)
- Fixed bug in js class playchess (inappropriately parsed moves within comments)
- Substantial improvement in js class playchess
- Can parse and display non-recursive analysis lines according to the PGN RAV standard
- Intelligent display of navigation options
- Internal mods to improve maintainability
- Modified DB structure to store analysis lines as a separate Table
- Implemented UCI engine interface for analysis (only available in Uniform Server package)
- Analysis options chosen from the search results page
- Analysis done as a cron job
- If the 'backend' is not present, all functions work except annotation (annotations are shown but not generated)
- Done this way since running greedy executables on shared servers is antisocial
- Minor change (simplification) to js class playchess to prevent wrapping of icons
- Major changes to UCI engine interface for analysis
- Analysis now available on *nix as well as Windows platforms
- Exposed GUI to non-privileged users (ie went live)
- Changed internal file structures (to fen from pgn)
- Implemented primitive distributed client/server model for chess engines (in perl). This means the UCI chess engine does not run on the webserver, which allows the use of commercial engines and control of CPU usage
- A few minor cosmetic mods.
- Implemented automated background analysis on a "continuous improvement" basis. Minor changes to database structure
- Analysis now produces a state-of-the-game display (graph of move number vs centipawn equivalents)
- Major bug fixes to analysis subsytems (js class playchess in particular, but also FEN generator, and perl remote client)
- Current move is now highlighted in playchess display
- Replaced XPM2-v.0.2 with PHPMailer_5.2.4. Required for compatibility with current PHP versions. Now only uses PHP's mail functions.
- Downloaded games are now stripped of HTML comment (bug fix).
- Improved stability of the perl UCI scripts for offline analysis. Upgraded UCI engines.
- Improved CP graphical display to now flag mate threats.
- Improved stability and error-handling of the perl UCI scripts for offline analysis.
- Minor changes to the found games display.
- Fixed bugs in the upload functions introduced at ver 3.1.
- Major fixes to prevent import of duplicate games. Previously minor differences, such as additional tags, were considered significant.
- Improved navigation between pages.
- Implemented positional searches to identify games with identical positions.
- New set of icons and chessboard.
- All buttons are now rendered via CSS3 rather than static images.
- Button styles can now be set via admin interface.
- Can now choose chess pieces - from search page.
- Trails for moved pieces on Playchess.js board.
- Minor cosmetic changes.
- Improved stability and simplified the perl UCI scripts for offline analysis.
- Fixed queuing of games for analysis.
- Minor changes to database structure.
- Minor cosmetic changes.
- Rework of manual queuing functions (simplification and bug fix).
- Minor changes to the Perl UCI scripts for offline analysis.
- Default UCI engine updated to stockfish_14053109_x64.
version 4.9999 Rebirth after 6 years offline
- Replaced all deprecated PHP functions (mainly mysql).
- Moved to a DyDNS hosting solution.
- Analysis functions turned off for the moment in preparation for v5.0.
- Email functions are unlikely to be working.
version 5.0 PLANNED
- Rewrite of the analysis back end using either Stockfish14 UCI (with anything but perl) or webworker/js
Major cleanup and refactoring of code:
- Remove duplication in front and backends via better use of asynch js.
- Evaluate use of mysql - consider json and/or sqllite3 for all or some aspects.
- UI to be rewritten using dynamic generation from HTML5 templates.
- Include real-time analysis of games (can't be done with the current queued client/server model).